Dangers of a Mosquito bite

The Mosquito-borne diseases are caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites transmitted by mosquitoes. Mosquitoes can also transmit the disease without being affected by themselves. For example, if a mosquito bites an infected human or animal, they pick up the virus along with the blood meal. This virus reproduces inside the mosquito and passes it to other humans when bitten. Mosquito is the world’s deadliest creature on the planet. The reason why they are dangerous is that they carry viruses which subsequently spreads to humans, dogs, horses and other animals.
Disease transmitted by mosquitoes are Malaria, Dengue, West Nile virus, Chikungunya,  Zika virus, Yellow fever and many more.

5 Common Diseases spread by Mosquitoes:

Malaria

It is the most common virus spread by mosquitoes. As per WHO the estimated number of people who died in 2015 is 438,000. The main symptom of this disease is the fever. Other symptoms are shaking chills, aching muscles, headaches, tiredness, and nausea. It affects within 10-28 days after being bitten by a malaria-carrying mosquito. The red blood cell count reduces and the infection in the body results in kidney failure, seizure, coma, or death if not treated when required.

Dengue

It is a virus carried by mosquitoes and is a global problem since World War 2. It is caused by the family of viruses that are transmitted by mosquitoes. This disease has resulted in 10,000 deaths a year. The person gets infected within 2 weeks which can lead high fever,  swollen lymph nodes, vomiting, muscle and joint pains. It can affect anyone but it is more severe in people with low immune systems. The virus is not contagious and cannot be spread directly from person to person but can be spread by an infected mosquito.

West Nile Virus

It is a viral infection spread by infected mosquito. They become infected when they feed on infected birds. 75% of people who are infected have low or no symptoms. It becomes very difficult to diagnose when there are no symptoms. The rest 25% are infected with fever, headache, vomiting, or a rash. West Nile is known to cause a fatal neurological disease in humans. It spreads through blood transfusions, organ transplants, or from mother to baby during pregnancy, delivery, or breastfeeding.

Chikungunya

The virus infects humans through the bite of a mosquito. It is spread between people by two types of mosquitoes. The main cause is fever and joint pain that can last for many years. Other symptoms are muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue, and rash. It may occur within 4-8 days. The joint pain is acute and it becomes difficult for the patient to walk. It is transmitted from one person to another through the infected female mosquito. They bite during the daylight hours.

Zika

It is a disease caused by Zika virus that is spread through mosquito bites.  It was first identified in Uganda in 1947 in monkeys which were transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes and later was identified in humans in 1952. It is the same kind of mosquito that spreads dengue fever, yellow fever, and chikungunya virus. People who are infected can have symptoms of mild fever, skin rash, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise or a headache. They normally last for 2-7 days. These mosquitoes bite mostly during daytime or afternoon.  People who are infected with Zika virus should take plenty of rest, drink enough fluids. If symptoms worsen it is always recommended to seek medical care and advice.

Avoid getting infected by mosquitoes, follow these simple rules

  • Avoid travelling to unhygienic places
  • Keep the house and surroundings clean
  • Drink clean water
  • Avoid mosquito bite
  • Always use a mosquito repellent cream 
  • Make sure that the mosquitoes do not get any space to breed in the surroundings and other places

Chat with a doctor on the nULTA app to know more

By | 2018-02-15T17:23:37+00:00 February 15th, 2018|General|0 Comments

Leave A Comment